- Brandeis University (B.A. 2009)
- Fordham University School of Law (J.D. 2014), Senior Articles Editor of the Fordham Journal of Corporate & Financial Law, Brendan Moore Trial Advocacy Center
- New York State Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of N.Y.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of N.Y.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
Seth M. Shapiro
Seth M. Shapiro is an associate based in our New York office who concentrates on appellate, class action, commercial, financial services, shareholder, and white-collar matters in federal and state courts.Prior to joining KM in 2016, Mr. Shapiro practiced commercial litigation and worked as a compliance officer in securities sales and trading at Credit Suisse.
Mr. Shapiro’s recent work includes:
- Representation of noteholders in In re Peabody Energy Corp., alleging contract, business tort, and Bankruptcy Code claims regarding the disparate treatment of noteholders in bankruptcy. This litigation resulted in a settlement just one month after filing the complaint.
- Representation of a whistleblower in State of New York v. Moody’s Corp., alleging millions of dollars of tax fraud using a sham captive insurance company for over a decade regarding domestic and international transactions.
- Representation of a whistleblower in State of New York v. Spherion Corp., alleging a quality assurance company’s liability in the largest known fraud against New York City and State, amounting to almost $1 billion.
- Representation of a hedge fund and the trustee of its pension trust for conversion and unjust enrichment in Rudman Capital Management LLC v. Cavataio.
- Representation of homeowners in a class action against Nassau County and two of its administrative agencies in Hall v. Nassau County, alleging civil rights violations arising from the implementation of a racially discriminatory and irrational property tax system.
In addition, Mr. Shapiro assists partners with other matters; drafts briefs, pleadings, motions, legal memoranda, and discovery; negotiates discovery; assists with court conferences, depositions, and hearings; and advises on litigation strategy. Mr. Shapiro is fluent in Spanish.