- The University at Albany, SUNY (B.A. magna cum laude, 1988)
- Columbia Law School (J.D. 1991)
- New York State Bar
- United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Eighth, and Ninth Circuits
- The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, First Judicial Department
- The United States Supreme Court
Daniel Hume is a managing partner based in our New York office. He leverages more than 25 years of experience to help institutional investors, financial institutions, and individuals recover losses and achieve favorable outcomes in class action and direct securities litigation.Additionally, he has prosecuted antitrust class actions and obtained significant monetary relief for consumers. Mr. Hume is a partner in our New York office and a member of the firm’s management committee. From 2012-2022, he was named a Top Rated Securities Litigation attorney by Super Lawyers.
Some of Mr. Hume’s relevant securities work includes:
- Counsel in Maverick Neutral Levered Fund, Ltd. v. Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc., alleging that Valeant materially misrepresented its business model, touting artificial and unsustainable growth that was enabled by the company’s deceptive and illegal conduct.
- Representation in a shareholder derivative lawsuit against officers and directors of HSBC Holdings and its subsidiaries, alleging that HSBC ran money laundering operations out of New York City. The litigation settled for $72.5 million, the then largest foreign derivatives settlement ever reached and one of the largest insurer-funded cash payments achieved in a U.S. derivatives lawsuit.
- Lead counsel for the investor class in In re AT&T Wireless Tracking Stock Securities Litigation, a securities class action which resulted in recovery of $150 million for the class.
- Lead counsel for a group of Singapore-based investors in a securities class action, Dandong v. Pinnacle Performance Ltd, against Morgan Stanley pertaining to notes issued by Cayman Islands-registered Pinnacle Performance Ltd. This litigation resulted in a $20 million recovery.
- Lead counsel for the investor class in In re MOL Global, Inc. Securities Litigation, a securities class action lawsuit alleging that e-payment enabler MOL Global misled shareholders prior to its initial public offering. This litigation resulted in a $8.5 million recovery.
- Representation of foreign financial institutions in individual lawsuits against Morgan Stanley, Credit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, UBS, Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, and Barclays pertaining to a number of fraudulent structured investment vehicles and asset-backed collateralized debt obligations.
Some of Mr. Hume’s relevant antitrust work includes:
- Lead counsel for consumer classes in connection with antitrust proceedings against Microsoft in the United States and consulting and advisory counsel to Canadian lead counsel in Canada. These litigations have resulted in settlements totaling over $1 billion for consumers in Canada, Florida, New York, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Minnesota, where the litigation proceeded to trial.
- Representation of a class of retailers in In re Visa Check/Master Money Antitrust Litigation, an antitrust case which resulted in a settlement of over $3 billion for the class.
- Special fiduciary representation for the exchange-based class in In re Foreign Exchange Benchmark Rates Antitrust Litigation for a putative class of participants who traded futures and options in the FX market. The case has already resulted in partial settlements of more than $2.3 billion.